<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Meme: Passion Quilt. 

What I think children should definitely learn about.



If a child can read and understand this graph, then she has mastered data analysis, literacy, numeracy, and applied history.

"Losses of the French Army in the Russian Campaign"

Yes, the graph's in French. I couldn't find it quickly in the 'net in English with a high enough resolution. Check Tufte's page for the graph in English if you want a copy for your wall (I really need to get mine framed...)

This graph, for those who haven't seen it, represents the journey of Napoleon into and out of Russia, 1812-1813. It displays his location in space, location of major rivers and landmarks, his number of troops (thickness of the line and the corresponding numbers), and the temperature (the bottom line graph), as he journeys out (in tan) and back (in black).

___________________________________

The Meme rules:

Post a picture or make/take/create your own that captures what YOU are most passionate for kids to learn about.

Give your picture a short title.

Title your blog post “Meme: Passion Quilt.”

Link back to this blog entry. I found the meme at History is Elementary.

Include links to 5 (or more) folks in your professional learning network.

___________________________________


I'm not a teacher (yet. Sometimes I dream of teaching at a college level, homeschooling, or formally tutoring. Now my tutoring is limited to teaching very curious cousins and nephews about math, writing, and music as the subjects arise.)

So my links will be to non-teachers, a variety of people I find extremely educated. They may or may not be inclined to carry on the meme. I make no promises.

Anna
Andy
Rose
Tam
Oleg

Comments:
Your block has been added to the Passion Quilt online. Thanks!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?