<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Secret House 

The Secret House: The Extraordinary Science of an Ordinary Day by David Bodanis

This is a great little book. Bodanis explains the science all around us, from the biology of the critters living in the lawn to the chemical composition of toothpaste to the physics of a thunder storm. I think it's a afscinating premise, and Bodanis uses the narrative of day and night to contain all the biology, physics, chemistry, mathematics, and whatnot that a trivia lover craves. The book reads slow, but that's a feature, not a bug - there's some very tight and nicely explained science here, accurate from all I can tell and accessible to the average interested reader.

I'm mailing my copy to my nephew. He's a wanna-be know-it-all. He'll love this.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?