<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Glad I'm not a fiction writer 

I've tried my hand at fiction. I've written a few short stories, and I have the required always-in-progress novels on my computer. But I know that, if I'm to make a living as a freelance writer, I must write non-fiction, and I must write what other people want to read, not necessarily what I want to write. It's a job.

That said, I have a short story coming out in the next issue of Journal of Asian Martial Arts. I'm proud of the story, called "The Sword and the Hurricane." I enjoyed every minute of writing it, though, and as I said I'm proud of how it turned out. And I love the magazine, and I'm flattered that my words get included in it. But without naming numbers, it took as long to write as my Bethesda Magazine articles, and the payment scarcely compares.

I'm just glad writing short stories isn't my dream job.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?