<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Not book related. Pure vitriol. 

Resonding to an entry on Cam Edward's site, about a recent desecration of the US flag in New York by the Islamic Thinkers Society.

"A group of American Muslims produced a video that shows its members on a New York City street corner declaring Islam's dominance over America as they tread on a U.S. flag and then rip it apart." They claim it's in response to the (retracted) Newsweek story about someone who flushed an entire Koran down a toilet.

Sometimes it sucks being the grown-ups. I'm furious at these people for what they've done. I'm proud of my flag. I'm offended by a British-Islamic group hosting a demonstration in New York about how awful America is, when leaving America is so easy. But you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to rant on my blog for a little while. I'll definately b*tch to my poor fiance tonight. I'm going to swear (silently).

But I'm not going to destroy any flags, dip any religious icons or books in urine, demand the arrest or deportation of people expressing their opinion in non-violent means, or do anything rash with any of the various weapons I collect.

One protester said, "We reject the U.N., reject America, reject all law and order. Don't lobby Congress or protest because we don't recognize Congress! The only relationship you should have with America is to topple it!"

I don't know if they're trying to provoke something. But it's going to take more than words and a torn flag to make me do anything other than swear. I'll lose respect for those who claim to be freedom-fighters, and I'll feel sorry for Muslims who don't want such people claiming to speak in their name. But I won't take to the streets to protest the desecration of my flag. It's just cloth, after all, and I won't hurt anyone for slinging mud or tearing cloth. I believe they know that.

I haven't been ducking any falling buildings lately.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?